Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Our Father

Was really blessed by Pastor Bob's first sermon back as our full time Pastor on Sunday. He is doing 5 weeks on the Lord's Prayer and just did the first line "Our Father Who Art in Heaven"
When the disciples said to Jesus, "teach us to pray." He could have said My Father, but he choose to say "Our Father". He is my Father but he is also yours.
Wow isn't that awesome? I have been meditating on that these last few days. After 40+ years a believer I am still overwhelmed that I get to call him Father.
If you want to hear this sermon, it should appear on the ECC (HK) web site in the next few days, I will publish the link when it is put on.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I recently wrote a devotional about the Lord's prayer. It is amazing how such a 'familiar' text can speak to your heart again and again. Yes, isn't it great to have a Father?
I noticed that this model prayer is so short. Even if you read it out loud slowly, this is a very short prayer. But what more do you need to say? I like the fact that Jesus told us to be very specific and don't use too many words. The Father already knows what we need. And in Luke Jesus also says that He gives us the Holy Spirit (who is praying on our behalf!). Isn't that great?!

Paul said...

One more thing. Keith Bakker, a Dutch / American guy who used to be a heroin addict, is now helping junkies on the streets of Amsterdam. Jesus changed his life radically, and now this man told on national TV that he only has one short prayer that he uses every day (in English). This is what he says daily: "Please God, help me not to screw this up".
Okay, maybe this is not the most eloquent prayer in the world, but it certainly is very sincere.

John said...

Uncle Phil,

Good to have you back in the blog world. Was beginning to think you had been sucked up by one of those nasty typhoons. Good word on "Our Father...". I have regular "WOW" moments on that one too. Looking forward to hearing about the speaking traveling tour.

John

John said...

Uncle Phil,

Good to have you back in the blog world. Was beginning to think you had been sucked up by one of those nasty typhoons. Good word on "Our Father...". I have regular "WOW" moments on that one too. Looking forward to hearing about the speaking traveling tour.

John